Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

New bushes or just change the shocks?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hgoudge

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Anglesey, Wales, UK
Model and year : 1994 Super GL 2.8l selectable 4WD (LH119V-RRPES)
Registration date : 2014-06-21

PostSubject: New bushes or just change the shocks?   Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi Folks,
I am after some advice.
I have a 1994 2.8l Super GL Hiace (Model: LH119V-RRPES) which is interchangeable between 2 and 4WD.
The van failed the MOT as it needs new shock absorber bushes, some top and some bottom - so basically the advice was to replace top and bottom bushes on all four shocks. I am also replacing the wishbone control arms (which I have already got from AutoJap Spares).

Does anyone know if you can easily remove (easily = without the need of a hydraulic press) these shock absorber bushes? My local mechanic says you can with some but not others, in which case you have to replace the entire shocks - it seems my original shocks might be ok?

Looking at jp-carparts.com part numbers for full shock assemblies are pretty straight forward: 48511-29595 (front) and 48531-80401 (rear). Please tell me if this is wrong Smile

If you can easily replace the bushes (these seem more easily available on ebay), can anyone help decipher the part numbers I might require?
The part codes/numbers for the bushes seem more complicated. For example with the rear shocks the codes (part numbers in brackets) are 48530B (90948-03012), C (90948-03004), D (90948-03015), E (90948-03011), F (90385-16009) & H (90385-19006) which include several washers a retainer and a bush. Do I need all these parts to replace the 'top and bottom bushes' which i think are part codes 48530F and 48530H?

Does anyone have opinions or advice whether I should attemp to replace just the bushes, or change the shocks at the same time?
Also if there are any brands you would use or avoid?

The van has done 148,720 Km (92,410 miles) and I would guess has the original shocks.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Cheers
Harry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 145
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: New bushes or just change the shocks?   Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am

Hi Harry, I changed the bushes on mine just a couple of months back, no hydraulic press needed at all. Turns out all of the shocks weren't working, which is probably why it cornered so well ;o)

If you look on this thread http://hiace-super-custom.free-boards.net/t2920-websites-to-buy-hiace-parts-and-body-panels, Hiace4wd gives links to the correct bushes for your model. Although the polybushes are coming from Russia you'll have them in about a week. Just be careful taking the old shocks off as the top of one of mine broke off so I had to buy a new shock absorber. Still need to replace the rear shocks as they're useless but one one thing at a time.
Hope that helps.
Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.richleemusic.com
hgoudge

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Anglesey, Wales, UK
Model and year : 1994 Super GL 2.8l selectable 4WD (LH119V-RRPES)
Registration date : 2014-06-21

PostSubject: Re: New bushes or just change the shocks?   Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi Rich,
Thanks a million for that info. I have been searching ebay and various parts websites for about a week with no joy.

Many thanks
Harry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 145
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: New bushes or just change the shocks?   Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:31 am

Hi Harry,

Glad I could help. Hope you get it sorted asap so you're out and about it the van again.

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.richleemusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New bushes or just change the shocks?   

Back to top Go down

New bushes or just change the shocks?
Page 1 of 1