Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Engine management light

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
williamskm

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Engine management light   Sat May 10, 2008 8:01 am

I've had this problem for sometime now and no one can help here in Spain. Toyota main dealer has tried to identify the fault and many other mechanics. The engine management light comes on and off. It may be for seconds but never stays on. When is comes on you can feel a slight decrease in power. When stopped at traffice lights for example, the revs increase and decrease when the management light goes on and off. When you accelerate hard the light will more than likely come on.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and does any one know what the solution is please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Sat May 10, 2008 10:12 pm

Mine comes on too, but only when stressing the engine - ie kickdown on long hills. Haven't sorted it yet, but suspect dodgey turbo operation at high ( 3500+ ) revs - or something simple like part blocked fuel filter? Engine great cruising at up to 80 on the flat......and never get the light when less than 3000 revs, so I guess we have different problems. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Sun May 11, 2008 9:49 am

you need to read your fault codes to get a bit nearer to sorting out your problems.the bit you need to look for is located near your battery with a cover on it,this is an elecrtical connector block full of numbered/lettered pins.you need to link te1 and e1 then put your ignition on.the warning light will then start to flash your fault codes.heres a link to an older link on the site that explains more.twas my first post Very Happy http://hiace-super-custom.free-boards.net/grease-monkey-sorry-couldnt-resist-its-a-bf2142-thing-f1/fault-codes-t97.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamskm

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks for your help, I've connected as stated and it has flashed four times, paused and flashed four times again. I take it that this means that its the coollant (water) temperature sensor. Would this be available anywhere and any idea of the price. It has got a little worse recently and really needs sorting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:44 am

my sensor(at the rad cap on engine)is either goosed or (i think) badly earthed(came on with oil level light after some turbo work).this gives me high level on dash but it isnt over heating.i dont get the number 4 code at all so i wouldnt have a clue.but if you talk to someone in the diagnostics buisness they may have an idea.does your dash light go up to high level?also you may have overheated the engine on one occasion and the ecu has stored the code, you would have to reset it and try to bring the management light on again.pushrod have you tried to fit a boost gauge to help you?i had the exact same problem and the codes it gave me were 2+5.my problem was overboost and the ecu was cutting in to prevent damage.faulty acctuator(200+) Sad .i have recently fitted a boost gauge to watch what happens and to spot if it starts to go again.also will be a help if trying to up the performance Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks, Maximus, that does sound close to my problem - would I get black smoke like rich mixture when I put my foot down?
Also would this affect my gearbox? Very often I seem to be pulling away in second, and 'OD off' light flashes ( about every 2 seconds ) most of the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:58 pm

hmmm dunno what ya gearbox problem could be, although i read somewhere that the gearbox can be diagnosed like the engine(linking terminals and watching the flashes) i just cant remember where it was,sorry.i still get a bit of smoke under acceleration but i think most diesels do under load.if this was considered to be a thick cloud of smoke then it maybe overfueling and this can be damaging the engine.if it was a constant smoke cloud and was using oil i would get a compression test done.could be something simple like worn/blocked injectors.if the smoke thing had just started then the first thing i would use is a good injector cleaner.i use millers oils aswell as their fuel additives.it wipes the floor with redex and the others Very Happy http://www.millersoils.net/ .next do the filters oil/fuel/air.old oil can cause smoking so an oil service can help.finally if all else fails STAY AWAY FROM A TOYOTA DEALER.i tried for a long time to sort my problems visiting lots of mechanics.it came to an end when i came across this man http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/ .the guy is a diesel god and very friendly to Very Happy .based near preston
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 am

Thanks for the thoughts, Maximus.
Although I'm OK with mechanical things, electrics worry me a bit - the highlight of my career was wiring a solenoid to charge my leisure battery! Cool
I get a nasty feeling that there may be one sensor or connection loose that is leading to other faults eg the gearbox sensing that the brake is still on, or the wrong resistance in the speedo connection. Will check the diagnostics, but it may not do me much good as I can't tell a sensor from a sausage ( hopefully there won't be many sausages under the dash? ) Rolling Eyes
I sometimes wish ( about trwice a day, usually ) that the engine was an old Perkins diesel - I can fix them.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:02 pm

perkins Wink had one of them in an old v.w lt 31.was quite nippy if kept in the red zone affraid but when it hit about 70ish it felt like someone had put the brakes on Exclamation no slowing down as it revved out just sort of a jerk lol! .as for diesel it barely sipped the stuff........sigh how i do miss the old bus at these present times but i still wouldnt swap the ace for one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:22 pm

The lt31 was a bit of a heavy motor, though. My perkins was in a Maestro van, and it did 100mph ( proved to doubters several times! ) and averaged 50ish mpg. I wouldn't swap my Ace for it , but it would sure be usefull as a back-up! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamskm

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi, does anyone have the part number for the coollant tempreture senor, I keep putting this off getting sorted but its getting worse and I really now need to put it right
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 pm

have you tried pulling off the wire to the sensor and taking it for a run?i wouldnt have thought it would bring up the fault code if it was disconnected
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:40 pm

think part number for temp sender is 83420-20020.although this is for a 2lte engine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:42 pm

The Part Number for a 3L 2779cc engine sensor is 89422-20010 and they must be gold plated (from Toyota) as far as price is concerned. Try ebay for lower cost options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thugwar

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Sun May 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi.can you help me about check engine in toyota hi ace.when its run continous its ok but when there s traffic or in neutral the van start to abnormal noice kind of fuel/engine knock sounds,then start check engine lights......when i turn off the engine for 5 mins its normal again and when running for about 40 to 1 hour in idlemode its strat again the abnormal sounds in engine the the light in check engine is on again..what are the causes of thisd problem.....kindly help me about this....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine management light   Sun May 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile