Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Charging leisure batteries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gone Diving

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-13

PostSubject: Charging leisure batteries   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 pm

Hello sparky and all Very Happy

Please can you clarify a couple of things for me. I to wish to charge three110amp leisure batteries that Iíve fitted inside a lidded box behind the backward facing middle set of seats in my N reg, 3 Ltr 8 seater super custom living saloon EX Hi Ace. Having read about Alternator to battery charger and Battery to Battery Charger one of the questions it asks on sterlings web site is the output from the alternator? Can you tell me what this is please.
The problem I see with the above chargers is they need lots of room around them (fan assisted cooling) and a safe dry location. Iím stumped confused as to were to place it in the car as when we go away camping (no electric hook up) the car is packed to the roof + three adults, two teenagers ho and one dog. Suggestions welcome.

The maximum in any 24 hour period Iíd take out of the batteries is 280amps so I need to but this back in every day. Working on two hours driving (sight seeing) every day. Education required please scratch : -
Output from the fitted car alternator?
Can more than one of these chargers be fitted?
What voltage does it put to the batteries?
Can I fit more than one Alternator?
Can you get higher output alternators?

Look forward to your response
Regards
Gone diving drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Charging leisure batteries   Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 pm

280amps in 24 hrs you're joking right Question , chirst what ya powering Shocked .
The way I have gone on the recent build is a single 220ah elecsol with a 50A battery to battery charger, based on the guess that the alternator is around 85A, leaving 35a to deal with the van's electrics (im sure you will find it to be higher than this with ac and automatics as a general whole).
To do a bank of 3 batteries you will need something more manly than a split charge configuration that's for sure!!! One thing that you have to consider is that the batt to batt ups the voltage to the leisure batteriesrecommended charge voltage and will 4 stage the output to max of 50A. To give an example the I ran the battery to 11.7 volts (as most stuff turns off at this voltage, plus a battery will only work at 50% of it's capacity, in your case you would be good for only 165ah), then driving for approx 1.5 hrs @ 14.5v and 42A, it took the battery to a threshold voltage of 13.1 volts and the advanced battery computer that is fitted said that we were at 93% capacity. Based on this info, I was happy to conclude that when we go to Europe again next year and the matter of only spending 3 days on each site, by driving on average of 3hrs from place to place will get charge recovered easily.
Hope the info helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1116
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Charging leisure batteries   Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 pm

what he said Smile
Back to top Go down