Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Lift up the engine cover and secure it with the plastic strap near the front nearside passenger seat-belt. Next with a phillips screwdriver take off the trim over the o/s wheel-arch. Using a 14mm socket remove the drivers seat - 5 bolts, the front 2 have rubber caps on them - prise off with a screwdriver.There is a connector for the seat belt warning,undo this by pushing down on the cenral tag.This releases the carpet, pull it out of the way (you might have to remove the hand-brake cover also, if the carpet is trapped under it.)

Using a 12mm socket remove the bolts holding the offside engine cover and move it to the rear (You should not need to remove the hand-brake lever.)
!2mm bolts hold the power steering reservoir, remove them and remove the feed and return pipes- a good time to change the PAS fluid Dextron II. Take off the top hose support 10mm nuts.
Remove the 4 x 12mm bolts holding the air con compressor, move it to the rear slightly.
Remove the viscous fan 4 x 12mm bolts from the water pump pulley. 10mm bolts hold the fan shroud to the radiator. Remove the rad pipes held on by spring clips-including the ATF feed & cooling return. Loosen the PAS pump 14mm bolts and push the pump down.
The radiator is held at the top by the top engine cover latch - 2 x 10mm & 1 x 12mm bolt plus a 14mm nut.The botton of the rad is held by 2 x 14mm nuts - one either side.
Carefully extract the radiator from the engine housing - The muck that came out of mine was a wonder to behold.
Get a hot bath ready as crawling underneath, bending over the mass of metal called the engine and an accumulation of grazes to your danny mitts will need TLC.
Fitting is reverse of the above - with the exception of the bath, a final rewarding act!! Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
galo55

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Québec Canada
Model and year : Hiace 4X4 Lh119v/1992 Pop-Up Camper
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:42 am

Hi.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do the same work to access the front of the engine if I want to replace the timing belt and water pump on 2.8 diesel? and my Hiace is a 1992 with 133,000 Km on the clock it might be a good idea to remove the radiator and make thorough cleaning to ?
My mechanic at Toyota Canada does not know very well Hiace and he said that it will take 8 hours to replace the timing belt and water pump?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:20 am

Taking the rad out will free up some room, the floor panel will have to come out to get to the water anyway, while the rad is out it can be flushed/overhauled/replaced.
1 hour to get all the bits off, half hour to remove and replace the waterpump, with all the fan out of the way half hour to do the belt (i think yours is a long one that may need the crankshaft pulley removed?) or 15 minutes if it is the short one. Half to one hour to refit rad fan tension belts and floor and seat in.

8 hours is more than double the time needed in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
galo55

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Québec Canada
Model and year : Hiace 4X4 Lh119v/1992 Pop-Up Camper
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Thank you very much for your advice, will transfert the information to my mécanic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gill

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Carlisle
Model and year : Toyota Hiace camper 1994
Registration date : 2011-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Just wanted to say thanks john for your straight forward instructions.
I should not celebrate yet but it feels like a real achievement for me to get the radiator out!
I am practical but have not done much work on motors since I was a teenager.
The guy at the radiator place says he can get me one if I bring him the old one so fingers crossed!

Regards Gill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 100
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 pm

hey there Gil, did you get a new rad? Just asking because I just had my Super Customs radiator recored and it cost 400 CDN $ plus tax and 3 hours to take it out and put it back , which is steep, but much less than a new one and just as good if done right.

total time for timing belt, water pump, tensioner, pulley,seals, thermostat and the rad in and out was about 6 hours. Just make sure you check the rad before starting the timing belt replacement. i will be checking mine 2wice a year to see if it needs flush and coolant/anti-freeze to prevent rust build up, as none of us want our heads to explode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jopoulos

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 am

Quote :
There’s not much room here and the trick is to USE THE SPARE HAND TO PUSH DOWN ON THE ALTERNATOR BELTS which stops the pulley from moving while you undo the nuts. Use this technique as well for tightening the nuts on re-assembly.

HI Guys,

I'm changing the radiator on my hiace.
I cannot manage to undo one left nut from the fan clutch on the pulley. I spent a lot of time taking the three others one using the technique quoted here but cant #$$%% manage to get that last one. I asked a stronger man to try but he did not succeed.. Crying or Very sad
Anybody have any advise on how to do it without damaging anything? a special tool? A special way? Please help!! Smile

Also, mine is automatic hiace. Where do i top up transmission fluid afterwards? Same spot as the dipstick?

Thanks

Georges
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 965
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:42 pm

yes the same spot as the dip stick. sorry i can't help with the other problem i have not had to do mine yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ebony2silver.com
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:43 pm

You could try marking the offending bolt....then soak in 'plus gas' overnight...then try again but try loosening the tough one 1st.
Heat can help so maybe have the engine fully hot.
Have you tried an extension/breaker bar yet?...will provide a lot more torque....linking one spanner (round head) over a traditional spanner is another trick to get extra purchase
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Yeah those nut can be difficult... Also try getting your spanner in a position where you can hit it with force using a hammer. This technique has saved me many times. Laughing Keep at it mate don't let it beat you. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smiler

Number of posts : 3
Home City : orewa new zealand
Model and year : 1998 supercustomG.Would like to fit intercooler and cold air induction pipe..
Registration date : 2011-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:40 am

Hi all and sure glad for all the info on these van,s as have had the temp gauge hassle then fitted another gauge which tried to go around twice but the toyota one read half temp.Fitted new thermostatand now about to pull both radiators for a full flush and only hope the head has not gone bad..Is there anything to no bout topping it all up?? so no airlocks etc..p.s i bought the van with out curtains and sure need some so don,t have to flash the fellow campers in the a.m..take care all..smiler..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 965
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:00 am

smiler if you want curtains try www.leatherseat.net they are good quality and cheap i got a set and could not be happier. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ebony2silver.com
smiler

Number of posts : 3
Home City : orewa new zealand
Model and year : 1998 supercustomG.Would like to fit intercooler and cold air induction pipe..
Registration date : 2011-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 am

Hey thanks for the info on the curtains ruffnut,will try them after ive sorted out my brawl with getting the radiator out. as seem to have aircon radiator between fan and orther radiator??.Hell how many radiators are in these vans??no wonder they need 3ltr+turbo to get it all moveing haha.smiler..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)   

Back to top Go down

Removing (and replacing) 2.8ltr 3L engine Radiator (Auto)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1