Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

larger tire size

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cyfad

Number of posts : 9
Home City : auckland nz
Model and year : 1996 Toyota Hiace Super Custom G 3.0 turbo full time 4wd manual
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:33 am

In all honesty without a major lift i would say no, i have 255/70 15 (eqiv 30x9.5x15) and they rub a bit at half lock, i have lifted the front a bit and done some slight body adjustments with a 32oz engineers hammer...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:50 am

Hay cyfad, would love to see pic's of yours with the bigger tyres on. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyfad

Number of posts : 9
Home City : auckland nz
Model and year : 1996 Toyota Hiace Super Custom G 3.0 turbo full time 4wd manual
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 pm

My profile pic has the wheels on
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 am

Yeah but i dont have my magnifying glass on me? Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:38 am

Could have scored a set of Surf mags the other day but they were 15"x8" , wouldn't they just look great on the van , but they would never fit without some serious panelbeating.
Can we put ball joint spacers and diff and stabalizer bar spacers on these 4x4 vans like they do on the surfs ??? and that will raise them up 1" plus screwing up the tortion bars 1 more inch ,total 2 whole inches. or 60 mm for you young blokes.
The upper control arms look a bit piss weak to me and I'll have to check this out tomorrow.
Why cant we use the auto box and transfer case from a 1kz surf and turn these into a real 4x4 with dual range.

I would be interested in any thoughts on this subject or Im' going to buy a DELICA

Just kidding No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:57 am

Checked out front suspension setup today and there doesn't seem any way of using ball joint spacers as the upper ball joints look like they are pressed in, and stabalizer bar brackets cant be spaced as well.
OH WELL Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while

Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Now I'm running 235 75 15's. I had to tighten the torsion bars so the tires would fit in the front. They rub a bit on short radius turns. These tires are about 10% larger in circumference than stock so the speedometer reads 10% slower than actual speed. Wouldn’t / couldn't go any bigger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Merlin_

Number of posts : 17
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Fri May 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I am considering shoe horning 235 75 15's under my van. If I am able to lift it enough to get them under ( and mash in fenderwells where needed...) is there any potential disadvantage to the larger wheels?

I am hoping for a smoother ride and more clearance. I feel that the van is already slightly underpowered, and dont want to further burden it. Right now running 205 70 15s on aluminum rims . Are steel rims going to be harder to turn? Should I stick with aluminum?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vanlife Northwest

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Portland, OR - USA
Model and year : 1990 Hiace Super GL 4wd
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:55 am

Hey Guys!

This is my first post here, and a poignant one as I just lifted my 1990 Super GL Hiace 4wd. When I purchased the van, it had 195 80 15 tires and the stock chrome wheels. They were too small for my off road needs so I upgraded the tires to Yokohama Geolandr 225 70 15 on the stock rims. Huge difference! This tires have great grip on and off road. Still wanting more lift, I had the rear leaf springs re-arched and heat tempered. That gave me about another 2 inches (5cm). The top photo is before the lift with the 225 tires, and the bottom photo is after the lift with the 225 tires. I am very pleased with he result.

I am not sure what the rear suspension is like on the Super Custom models, but this Super GL is rated at 1000kg and has heavy 6-leaf springs. Re-arching the springs seemed to add height with out adding stiffness. I just cranked the front torsion bars (about 20 full turns) to match the rear, leaving about a .75 inch (2cm) front rake. I was able to keep the original shocks, and the ride quality feels just like it did before the lift.

The 225 tires are a nice height, but I'd be curious to go larger, but that'll have to wait till I come into some more $$$.  cyclops

Anyhow, I am very grateful to have found this forum, and greetings from Portland, Oregon, USA!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HiaceInTheUS

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Park City
Model and year : 1991 Toyota Hiace Van - RZH112R-RBMRSW
Registration date : 2017-07-18

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 am

kev wrote:
hi the awd runs 215/70r 15 on 6 inch rims . i was looking at some 7 inch either 15 or 16
(prado) but there does not look like much room there so might not gain to much for the cost of changing though i have just seen some hi lux mags that look very interesting cheers

Did you ever learn if 7" wide was too wide for R15? I plan on buying 215/70 R15 or 205/70 R15 and I already have a set of 15" wheels that are 7" wide. I'd rather not have to buy new wheels too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: larger tire size   

Back to top Go down

larger tire size
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2