Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc   Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:06 pm

AIR FILTER - Find it underneath just behind the offside front wheel. Butterfly nut holds the outer cover. Then another butterfly nut holds the huge vertical filter in the housing.Fitting is the reverse. Change every 15000km-12months

OIL FILTER Take off the engine underslung panel/shield - use 12mm socket with an extension bar. There are 2 12mm bolts holding the panel in the middle to the front engine/front axle cover ( You don't need ramps) undo these first. Then you have 2 12mm bolts on one side and 3 12mm bolts on the other side. You will see the oil filter behind the front offside wheel. Use a filter wrench but watch that oil, best to put a flat tray beneath, you will still get it all over your hands! Clean the housing face then lubricate the new filter face with clean new oil, after 3/4 filling the filter with new oil.Only tighten new filter by hand otherwise you will destroy the O Ring by the pressure. Tighten the filter upto the face loosely then tighten a 3/4 full turn by hand. Refit lower panel in reverse. The filter needs changing every 10,000km however the oil is to be changed every 5000km. You do not need to drop the pan for an oil change as the sump nut is accessible between the panel middle -14mm socket. The engine will run for about 15 seconds before the pressure light goes out so DON'T REV IT!!!!CHECK FOR LEAKS

FUEL FILTER Lift the engine inspection panel.Using 12mm socket remove the fuel filter housing on the nearside of the engine bay. 2 - 12mm nuts hold it in place. Detach the water sensor cable - lift the plastic tag and it will seperate from the connection to the wiring loom.You should be able to pull the housing out enough to hold the housing and undo the filter with the water sensor attached. Tip away the fuel in the filter responsibly and using a rag to get a firm hold, unscrew the water sensor. Use a new O ring on the water sensor - wipe clean diesel on the O Ring faces.(Comes with the new filter) and hand tighten- not too tight as it is plastic.
Fill the filter 3/4 with clean diesel and screw the filter to the housing. Replace the water sensor connection and refit using the 2 12mm nuts. Pump the top of the housing 20/30 times to draw the fuel up. When you start the engine up the push down top will retract and the eventually release when all the air is out of the filter. I always use a hot engine for a fuel filter change as the injector pump is hot and full and reduces the chances of an airlock in the diesel fuel line.Replace the fuel filter every 10000km. (As an aside using a hacksaw I cut an old filter in half to inspect the paper filter inside- I thought I bought CLEAN Diesel!!! What a lot of muck!)CHECK FOR LEAKS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vulcan558
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 35
Home City : Chesterfield
Model and year : Super Custom Limited - 1994
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc   Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Having just got my van I found this info really useful.
Thanks a lot
Graham
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.watchtower.wetpaint.com
jazmax
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : glasgow
Registration date : 2007-10-25

PostSubject: Re: ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc   Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:01 pm

cheers john much help
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc   Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:17 am

Almost the same for the 3.0 but you don't need to drop the engine sheilds for the filter which is on the same side as the fuel filter. It sits in a bucket with a drain tube so the oil only goes one way.

Fuel filter, somehow Diesel is far more dirty that petrol, and often you get loads of sediment in the tank. If you run on veg oil this gets emulsified and filters bung up a lot quicker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Will

Number of posts : 5
Home City : London
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin
2.8 diesel
manual
LH119
Registration date : 2010-03-24

PostSubject: excellent info on servicing   Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for this info, I successfully changed air and fuel filter and I'm a complete novice.

I wonder if you might be able to offer any advice with the following!

This morning I discovered that the cooling system has lost 3 litres of coolant!I drove 250 miles over the weekend and first noticed yesterday that even when idling around town the engine temp was higher than normal. 5 days ago i was messing around with the air con system and discovered that it has a leak in it. I don't know whether this would have effected things!

I'm hoping that there is not a crack in the engine head. I'm not sure how to check for water in the oil and vice versa.

Any suggestions gratefully received and thanks again for your original post

Will
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc   Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:51 am

Re: air con....If you know where the leak is and the system is empty, replace the seal/part.
If the system is managing to hold some pressure you can by a top up/leak sealer from halfords and the like....you'll need a toyota adaptor at the same time.
The filler valve has a black cap I think...under the van, very front nearside.
Messing with the aircon should'nt affect engine temps etc...

To check water in oil/vica versa....remove the oil filler cap...is it like mayonaise under it?...that may be condensation or coolant in the oil...check dipstick too.
Problem with head crack (if thats the prob) is its likely to be letting exhaust gas (rather than oil) into the coolant...the gas pressurises the system and blows out coolant....you may have a steamy exhaust too if coolants draining into head ports on shut down...eventually can cause ' hydraulic lock' in piston chamber.

Re: coolant leak..all you can do is refill at the pressure cap and examine hose joints etc. while hot....it will take time to purge air but after this it should'nt be dumping pressurised coolant from the plastic expansion tank. Have the heater valves open while purging to prevent air getting trapped in heater matrix...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
entwistlea
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc   Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 pm

yep, agree with Chris, coolant leak was probably air in the system, they have a lot of pipework...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hpi.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc   

Back to top Go down

ROUTINE SERVICING 3L DIESEL ENGINE 2779cc
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1