Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Air Conditioning problem Please Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dale

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : Super Custom 4wd Limited 1995
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:40 am

My 95' SC Limited has an issue where it will blow nice cold air in the front and rear but after about 15 minutes it starts to blow warm air in the front, while the air coming out of the rear is still cold. Can anybody suggest what this is and how I can fix it?
The climate control temp setting is the analog slide switch type, I try to mess with the slide switch back and forth and turning aircon on and off without any change.
The next day when I turn the aircon on it does the same thing all over again.

Best Regards
Dale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 991
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:47 am

hi dale sounds like it needs re gassing as the old gas has been depleted. maybe some one else will have more thoughts that may help.
what part of melb are you in i'm in morrabbin area

cheers dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale

PostSubject: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:28 am

Hi Ruffnut
I think that the front and rear dual zone air conditioning units run off the same compressor and gas refrigerant, what I cant understand is why the rear aircon will keep blowing icy cold air and yet the front unit will blow warm air.
I am wondering if it has something to do with a thermostat or (module) I think Tritrade has replaced a module on his airconditioning so hopefully he might be able to tell me more about it.
Cheers Dale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:19 am

I had a similar thing and it turned out to be the controll valve on the condensor. When things were cool all worked well but the first hot day and the back was cold andfront not . They have the same compressor obviously but the condensors are seperate. his is what I was told anyway and after a new valve both front and back work well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Dale,
Tell me if a/c works good when engine is cold and then stops getting cold when engine warms up . About 15 minutes.
Check cable is operating front heater tap.
Check heater tap is closing all the way
Check heater tap is not leaking

Not sure if these have a control valve between the front & rear evaperators, but seems strange it works good for 15 minutes and then shuts down.
Try turning the rear A/C off and just running the front

Hold the suction line ( large alloy tube at front going into the floor at left front of van) , you should be able to put you hand through the hole in the bumper bar .Check it is nice and cold.
If the suction line is cold and a/c is blowing warm air then you will have a heater tap problem.
Check refrigerant charge on sight glass under van, if there are a few bubbles it's ok but if it's frothy it needs charging up.
Let me know how you go
Cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:05 am

When are you going to shift up here Fletch .. even a holiday would be good Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:03 am

Thanks for all the suggestions I will try them and get back to you all

Cheers Dale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:49 am

Might just do that AussieQ , actually found out today I have old family friend living at Mt Tambo , sir name Lawrence . Maybe you know them?
Cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:00 am

If he plays golf Iprobably do Smile Same spelling tho he hasn't played for 4 months

Kerry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:49 am

Update!

Hiace is in at the auto electrician and the latest is that they are pulling the dash out as they think the TX Valve is playing up????
Has been in the workshop for 4 days!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:18 am

Bloody hell mate, our local bloke had the lot out and new valve in and regassed in 2 and a bit hours, all in our front yard. Cost $500 but she's cool now Smile I might have a leak in the condensor?? under dash in the future he reckoned as the fins were a bit on the dodgy side. $400 he says that is Sad

Good luck mate. BTW the valve was $100 .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:14 am

Hi Dale,
Common problem & I have replaced heaps of TX valves in Hiace vans and normally takes a couple of hours and you don't take out the dash, just the glove box and evaparator box is behing it. Really easy job,normally costs around the $400.00 mark.
Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Easy for you Fletch Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:40 pm

Hey Fellas
Just rang the auto elec and suggested that to replace the TX valve that the dash did not have to be removed as it is behind the glove box (as per Fletches suggestion thanks Fletch!)
The auto elec said that the tx valve is in the heater box and you couldn't get at it
without taking the dash out.
I have an uneasy feeling that I am going to be ripped off in excessive labour costs.
Wish you were here in Melbourne Fletch!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:18 am

The glove box, then the cover for the heater and aircon condensors ? (little radiator doovers in plain speak) there also is a bar that goes behind the glove box and a few wiring harnesses to unplug and there is an access plate in the floor as well . Bugger of a job but our bloke did it all in a couple of hours. Might be cheaper to fly Fletch down Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:03 am

Hi Dale , if this guy said the whole dash has to come out, he does'nt know whats going on or he is ripping you off.
I suggest you take the van somwhere else , there are plenty of guys that do mobile A/C . Go to some smash repair shops and ask who they use for their A/C regas work.
I'd do it for you no problem if you want to pay for the air fares and 5 star accomadation.With swimming pool and heated spar as well.While were at it a massage would be allright.
Mind you it would be a problem carring gas bottles and equipment through the airport.

Good luck
Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:14 am

Hey Fletch
Hope I would be getting a discount on the job if I've got to put you up in 5 star accommodation with pool and massage, I presume it would have to be a massage from a chesty blond too!

I cant get down to check their work but they are suggesting that it should be finished today, I will let you know what they sting me

Cheers
Dale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:11 am

Heavily into chesty blonds ( not the underwear )
Hope they dont sting you too much, Id charge around the $450.00 . TX costs about $50.00
cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:29 am

Damn I got done for $50 Aaah well at least it's workin Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:13 am

All is well with the A/C new Tx valve and it goes like a beauty, Fletch thanks for the advice the total cost was $385 so I didnt feel like I was ripped off!!

News at the moment is the SC is now in the workshop getting a diesel gas conversion, I drove it today with system temporarily installed and played with the on off switch for the lpg control and it gives a huge boost to power although I am hoping that it will enable greater fuel economy!
It looks like the AWD will only have enough space for a 30 litre lpg tank underneath but that should last through a couple of tanks of diesel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 am

I for one will be very interested in the results of the conversion..

BTW glad to hear all worked out well with the aircon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:26 am

Hi Dale, good news with you A/C ,glad it's ok now and a reasonable price as well.
Funny enough I have a Tarago to do a TX on tomorrow same problem intermintent cooling
I'm very interested in your gas conversion , cost , fuel consumption and power increase etc
Keep us informed hey !!
Cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1116
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:51 pm

good news onthe aircon and please keep us posted on the conversion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hiace-super-custom.free-boards.net
jh1958

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Clifton Creek
Registration date : 2014-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:41 pm

I have just purchased my first Super Custom, 1993 limited.
Drives beautifully.
The problem I have is that the air con compressor does not kick in
when the A/C button is pressed.
Fuses are all OK, unless I've missed one.
Any thoughts!

jh1958
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Not enough gas pressure, try a recharge first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning problem Please Help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next