Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Best oil for the 1kz-te?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:43 am

Plan to do routine service this weekend, just the usual - engine oil and filter, auto trans and diff. what's the recommended engine oil for the 1kz-te? This is the first time ive had to service since i bought it. Have never had a turbo diesel before so not sure what oil or filter to use, is the filter a Z9? i will have to have a closer look. What do you all use? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:52 pm

I prefer Valvoline myself, used it in all our trucks and vans, as for filter it's not a Z9 but a Z334. Or at least thats whats on the packet of the Sakura filter that my son picked up for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Cheers for that, about to head off to auto shop now. what viscousity would that be - 10w/60?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:21 am

Hi, I've been using Castrol GTX 15W / 40 in mine .and genuine Toyota oil filter.
Little tip for you, buy some engine flush for diesel and chuck it in and let it idle for 20 minutes then I let it drain for over 1 hour and you will find your new oil will stay clean looking for alot longer.
If you don't flush the new oil turns black within a short time.
The flush cleans the sludge out of all the oil passages , I'm not a firm beliver in all these additives and things but this is good stuff.
Cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:51 am

Yeah i didnt do a flush but will be changing oil and filter every 5000 anyway. I put Nulon's diesel formula oil 15w-40 high protection, cleans deposits bla,bla.

Next is the auto transmission and diff's.. what fluid does it take - dextron lll? and do i need LSD geer oil for the rear diff? me think so. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:07 am

Hi, yep Dexon 3 and LSD oil in front & rear diffs if its a 4WD of course.Look's like it by your pic !!
My auto oil was filthy and I changed the filter in the pan and pumped nearly 20 litres through it until it came clean.

Have you had your van on the beach yet ? just wondering how it goes in soft sand and what tyres you have on it.
cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:58 am

Ah nice one thanks i will grab some dexon 3 today, what sort of filter is in the pan? Does yours have an oil cooler? i noticed mine has one.

Yeah have ventured a little on the sand at Nth Narrabeen a few weeks ago to see and yeah goes well, i did get stuck in the real soft stuff but let the tyres down and drove out ok, i think it would have problems with clearance if you were in other wheel tracks though. I just have the standard road going light truck tyres 225/70 R15 so wider all terrain tyres are on the list but from what ive read from other on this forum you cant go wider without it rubbing. Neutral

Do you have any plans for your set up in the off roading department?

Steve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:31 am

Hi Steve,
I cant remember the part number for the filter now but I think it was the same as Toyota Supra , take the old one with you to Repco and they can match it from photos in the book.
Take the hose off the auto oil cooler and let it pump into a large bucket , let the engine run and keep filling the auto up and keep looking to see when it runs clear, good to have someone to help you as well.
I am looking a 235/75/15 , I reckon they would be as big as I can go.
I mainly want this van for beach work and plan on doing a few mods in the future.
Cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks Fletch,
Didnt see the need to flush the auto, the old fluid wasnt too bad so only replaced the fluid. Both diff's and the transfer box oil's were real bad though, dont think they had ever been changed! Oh well all good now.
Hay what year model sc do you have? you will have to post some pic's up some time soon. And what part of Sydney you from? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best oil for the 1kz-te?   

Back to top Go down

Best oil for the 1kz-te?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: