Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fang

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi Everyone...Been reading this site for a while now and really enjoy the content..I own a 1997 supercustom with the 3.0 litre turbo Diesel AWD/fulltime 4 speed auto....I recently noticed that the front driveshaft outer CV Boots have split open on both sides, and clearly that is not good for the CV joints affraid . So, I wonder if anyone has had the privilage of removing the driveshafts from the Van to replace/repair, and what is the best way of going about it?????.....I like to tinker a bit myself and have a good toolkit, jacks/stands etc. I would appreciate any advice from anyone here and thanks in advance....By the way, My name is Dave and I am from Western Australia....Peace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:35 pm

G Day Dave,
Toyota always send me their promotional stuff and the other day they sent me info about the new CV cover they have now.
It is split and no need to take the shafts out , cant see how they join but looks like they just clip together.
Not a bad idea Toyota
Let me know how you go because I have the same van and would like to know how you find these covers if you decide to use them.
Probably a bit expensive but will save heaps of time pulling out the drive shafts
Cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fang

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:02 am

Thanks Tritrade. I will make enquires on that one. I am working on the removal as we speak and so far its going well. Only drama is I am having a little trouble getting the grease cap off..The six inner bolts holding the driveshaft to the diff exstension only needed some penatrene and a couple of slaps on the spanner to get them moving......Yes, I have marked the two halves for correct reassembly. It is going to be a close call on the sliding the driveshaft past the wishbones trick...May have to disconnect something. Bugger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:09 am

The guys who imported my van have had a go at removing the grease caps because you can see where they have hit a screwdriver into them and looks like they gave up.
I had a go and gave up as well , I'll get serious when the time comes
good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fang

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17 am

Ok, Heres the scoop......Job done for now as I dont have access to new cv boots .All I have done is remove and clean and repack the Joints...Not the complete answer but will hopefully keep things together for now....Yep that grease cap was a real tight sucker. The answer was to apply the vicegrip pliers at maximum grunt and and "screw" the cap clockwise/anticlockwise until it surrendered....Well, it worked for me and no damage done....The other tight sucker is the plate [with six chrome nuts] covering the centre of the wheel. The nuts were easy but that plate was held on by cone washers that were determined to ruin my day......But there is a cure.....If you look at the centre you will see two "extra" threaded holes. just get a couple of metric bolts [around 8 mm] screw them in hard and steadily tap the unit as you tighten the bolts.....But watch your eyes as those cone washers can spring off at an amazing rate...might even pay to leave the chrome nuts on a few threads just for safety.....So once I had removed the circlip on the outer driveshaft spline I was actually able to thread the entire driveshaft out of the wheel hub and past the wishbones without removing anything....But I did drop off the lower Shockie bracket as it seems to help slide/wriggle the unit back into place....So there it is, about one hours work per side should have them out on the deck and ready for overhaul.....PHEW........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Sounds the same set up as the Townace.
Have a search on www.Townace.com.

Not had 4WD so don't know for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm

Thanks for the info Fang.
How long you had the 4WD for and have you taken it on any sand ie beach driving yet.
I had mine on the sand once and got that very nervous feeling like I wasn't game enough to stop incase I bogged down, I m looking at putting on bigger AT tyres , looks like 235/75/15 is about as big as I can go , pitty these vans arnt a bit higher of the ground as well.
Apparently if you wind up the tortion bars you can also flip the upper ball joint so the wheel alignment can be adjusted properly.But im looking at the angle of the drive shafts tie rods and wondering if it will wear them out early.
If I could improve the 4wd capability on sand this would be the ultimate beast.
Cheers Fletch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fang

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:22 am

Ok, rang the nearest toyota dealer and asked about the new clip on type of cv boot that apparantly does away with removing the driveshaft from the vehicle. Yes, they are available for selected models at $70 each.....My feeling is that you would still have some difficulty wriggling them into position in the confined space plus cleaning and packing fresh grease etc... Once you have removed/replaced a driveshaft you will see that it really isnt rocket science, and well within the capabilities of the average person, so may as well do it the old fashioned way....... My Supercustom was fitted with new suspension before I bought it 12months ago and sits right up high. Certainly no clearance drama,s in my limited off road experiance....Cant comment on sandy/muddy conditions as I have yet to encounter any.......One thing I have noticed is that the fuel tank is really too small for Aussie....I think it needs to be 80/85 litres rather than the piddling 65/70 mine seems to have....I wouldnt risk going past 480ks without putting fuel....Thats cruising at 110/120kph...Plenty of grunt off the mark but does get a bit breathless if passing roadtrains where you need some rapid highend punch....Comfort is excellant and handling is only slightly marred by the higher centre of gravity resulting from the new suspension. Overall I love its versatility......Dave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1116
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Welcome to the forums Fang. Thanks for the info and glad to hear you enjoy your 'ace.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hiace-super-custom.free-boards.net
Fang

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:49 am

Hi everbody. Just to let you know that I finally secured a full set of Veale front driveshaft boots and have now fitted them. Total cost AU$150. As previously stated it really is not too difficult to remove the entire driveshafts. The trick is not too get too complicated about it. The old "keep it simple stupid" adage applies here. Just keep the wheels pointing straight ahead and with the full weight of the van on them. This keeps everything nice and straight, and it will all slide through and out with very little fuss. Once clear I carefully washed everthing down with degreaser and kerosene before removing the old boots and separating the inner cv joint. Just a split washer and it comes apart for cleaning and inspection.WARNING. novices should not dismantle outer cv joint. affraid Mine all looked and felt good so I repacked with the special grease and relplaced the new boots. The real tricky bit is getting the boots into position for installing the clips without getting the grease on the actual clipping area. This is very important as there is no way that those suckers are going to stay in position and protect the cv joints unless we get this part right...Anyway, I sussed that out and have now reinstalled and tested my workpersonship and all seems OK....I think you need about 4/5 hours to do the job and if you catch them early enough you should be able to save the cv joints.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dwayne
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Model and year : 1995 KZH106G

Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:02 am

This may help
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/wheelbearingsfront.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Wed May 20, 2009 4:40 am

I have just noticed a hole in one of my CV boots, the boot has not perished so i think a rock or a stick has puntured it, there has been grease all around my wheel arch for some time now so i hope my CV joint is still ok. I will get some new boots and repack asap! Does anyone know if they are the same CV boot kit as Hilux if so whats the part number that will give me what i need for the job. Cheers Steve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:28 am

Job done. Thanks for all the instructions and advice you guys posted, in the end i replaced both the boots inner and outer- cv joints all good just repacked em with the fresh grease. The inner boot looked ok but i split it when removing the drive shaft so i think they were all getting a bit brittle, prob have to do the other side soon. The hardest part was wriggling the drive shaft out past the wish bone, i completely removed the front shock and found having the steering at full lock was the only way it would slide out. the only other tough part was undoing the 6 nuts & bolts that hold the drive shaft to the diff, very awkward! So anyway the cv boots are the same as the hi-lux - i used the German neopreen rubber boots supplied from Turner Driveshafts, they are the best boots in the world - so they say. Well they fit really snug even better than the originals - cant ask for more than that! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while

Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:55 pm

A quick word on CV boot maintenance and repair.

To stop boots from cracking in the first place make a habit of once a year spraying the rubber with something like “Armour all” that is used to make sun weathered dashboards and rubber tires look shiny and new. The stuff makes the rubber soft again. Not sure how it works but is works so well I’m surprised it’s legal.

If the boot is punctured or not too badly torn it can be patched much like you would an inner-tube from a tire, using a patch kit or a urethane-based glue like “Freesole”. Just make sure you inject grease into the joint first and clean the rubber with acetone and rough it up with sand paper prior to applying the glue or patch.

Patching boots is looked down upon by mechanics as it is seen as a temporary fix. Well I got over 200,000 km on one of my patches before I sold the car… A little bit of maintenance can go a long way to preserve the life of your boots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????   

Back to top Go down

Removing CV Driveshafts From Supercustom AWD ?????
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1