Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

A/C fan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: A/C fan   Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:32 pm

Tried to get my system recharged but the agent would not do it as the fan above the horizontal rads does not allways come on. We striped down the front removing the bumper to get at it and he also noted that it was not spinning in a flat plane. So not only the bush knackered but also the bearing(s). At this point I said I'll source a replacement and fit it and call you back. Reassembly took just a few moments and as he drove off i remembered I had a unused electric rad fan in it's own shroud in the back of the garage.

Well I'm going to fit that next week, but, it has the option to blow or suck. I'm guessing blow and i can check once I get the front off again, but just wondered if anyone knows so I can set the new fan up ready to fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: A/C fan   Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Just look at the original fan to see what side the electric motor is on in relation to the pitch direction of the fan blades.

It's likely to blow down though. Mine has a plastic tray under there which looks to be also a duct to direct the exhausted air from the condensor out towards the brakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: A/C fan   Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks, logical really. Yes down so the ram air continues onto the main rad.
I've got a rusty metal tray underneath that vents to each side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: A/C fan   Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 am

I'm sure mine goes down as next Summer I'm going to get it wired so I can turn it on to blow through the secondary radiator(which is under it) on steep pulls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: A/C fan   Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:25 pm

As far as I can work out there are two sets of control leads going to the motor, one A/C and the other I think to assist cooling. Now I can't be sure on that but why have two sets that reduces down to one through connectors attached to the fan shroud?
I read somewhere that when under load and the engine gets hot the A/C is switched off to reduce the load, it would make sense to keep the fan on?

Rang Toyota for a price 196 plus tax, and 6 to 12 weeks delivery from Japan for the bare fan motor. I'll be using the fan I have that is complete with vane and shroud.

And yes as Robbo suggests it will blow away from the motor so down it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: A/C fan   Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:44 am

Fitted and not a problem blows down.
Wire cover unbolted but the tin shroud is held by small cross head screws and they just would not unscrew. Could not get a drill in the drill out so got the angle grinder out (any excuse my favorite tool!), and hacked the supporting arms to the original fan off.
The new fan is an all plastic housing and I placed it in the hole to see if it would fit. Well it fitted so well I could not get it out without fear of breaking it! It is not quite sitting flat but it stuck solid, I cable tied it in place not that it will move but to insure it does not fall onto the rads with a spinning blade!
Fired up the A/C and it is icy cold once more, front, back and cold box, I'll still get the system checked and recharged and let you know the gas weight.

The fan cables I got it wrong the second set do go off to something else so ignore what i said before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: A/C fan   Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:47 am

Gas charge 1400g of R134a

Oil top up PAG 45 30ml, UV dye added.

Removed 730g

Ambient temp 20 degrees C

Front 6-12

Rear 6-8

And hot cool box can make ice cubes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: A/C fan   Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:58 am

Good it's sorted mate, damn chilly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A/C fan   

Back to top Go down

A/C fan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: